Skip to main content

General Information

The EU has decided to apply temporary protection (Council Implementing Decision (EU) 2022/382 adopted by the Council on 4th March 2022, establishing the existence of a mass influx of displaced persons from Ukraine) to persons arriving from Ukraine after 24th February 2022 as a result of the Russian military invasion. They can apply for a residence permit at any Foreigners’ Registration Office pursuant to section 24 (1) of the Residence Act (AufenthG).

According to the regulation of the Ministry of the Interior, they can be granted temporary protection status until at least 4th March 2023.

Pursuant to section 24 of the Residence Act, Ukrainian citizens with a biometric passport may continue to travel within the European Union and the Schengen Area or remain in the EU for 90 days during a 180-day period. Travel to Ukraine after being granted temporary protection, i.e. receipt of a temporary title (e.g. probationary certificate), is still possible. However, you must re-enter Germany within six months at the latest and clear the journey with the competent authorities if there is a residence requirement and/or you are in receipt of benefits pursuant to Social Code II.

Citizens of Ukraine who were domiciled or permanently resident in Ukraine on 24/02/2022 but were temporarily staying outside Ukraine and entered the Federal Republic of Germany before 31/08/2022 do not require a temporary residence permit until 31/08/2022. This means that their stay in the Federal Republic of Germany is legal after 90 days of entry until 31/08/2022 at the latest.

In other words, there is only an obligation for displaced persons and non-EU citizens to register after 90 days, i.e. three months.

People who wish to remain in Germany for longer than 90 day and/or wish to receive benefits pursuant to the Asylum Seekers’ Benefits Act or Social Code II apply for a temporary residence permit (initially: probationary certificate) at the Foreigners’ Registration Office responsible for them in the town/city of their choice if they previously had private accommodation there (e.g. Leipzig) or in the town/city to which they were allocated according to their allocation notice, following their stay in a reception centre or emergency accommodation. The possibility and requirements of other residence titles can be discussed with the responsible case worker.In Leipzig, the Foreigners’ Registration Office is located in the Welcome Centre for displaced persons and immigrants at Prager Straße 128, Haus B.